What is Yahoo! Games?
Yahoo! Games is a site with more than 500 online and downloadable games - arcade games, board games, card games, word games and puzzles. You can play some of these games by yourself, against the computer or with other people online.
Everyone on Yahoo! Games must follow the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Children under 13 can’t use Yahoo! Games and you must be 18 years or older to use the chat feature. To learn more, take a look at Yahoo! Games Help.
What are some potential risks on Yahoo! Games?
Just as there may be risks in the town where you live, the Yahoo! Games community may pose certain risks. Yahoo! Games has a number of safety features, but you have to take care of yourself too.
- Protect personal information. Don’t post any information about yourself that might identify you to strangers.
- Harassment. If you’re playing a multi-player game, where people chat and instant-message each other, other users could expose you to unpleasant, sexually suggestive or abusive language. Please note that users under the age of 18 cannot use the chat functionality. Learn how to handle harassment on Yahoo! Games and review Yahoo!’s recommended online safety practices for instant messaging.
- Mature content. If you are exposed to explicit or sexual language in chat or instant-message conversations, please report the abuse to Yahoo!. You could also be exposed to sexual content when using the Search box on the front page of Yahoo! Games to look for images and videos. Please read through Yahoo!’s recommended online safety practices for image and video search.
- Payments. Yahoo! Games has many free games, but more complete versions of some games can be downloaded for a fee. If you have access to a credit card, please discuss appropriate use of the card with whoever pays the credit card bill.
What safety features should I know about to help protect myself on Yahoo! Games?
To protect young kids, Yahoo! Games doesn’t let children under 13 use the site.
If you are at least 13 years old and want to use Yahoo! Games, start by looking for single-player games. Avoiding interacting with strangers is the safest way to use Yahoo! Games.
Yahoo! Games also has a number of safety features for multi-player games. You should know how to do the following:
- Use an alias. An alias can be used instead of your Yahoo! ID when you join a games table. An alias that doesn’t include any personally identifiable information is best. For example, instead of ‘tedjones1992london’, use something generic like ‘bluesky50’. Learn more about choosing an online ID.
- Leave a games table. The easiest way to get away from players who behave inappropriately is just to leave that game. Simply click Quit in the current game and choose another table or another game.
- Ignore a player. Block all chat and instant messages from a specific player by double-clicking the player’s username and ticking the Ignore box.
- Turn on the Profanity Filter. To replace profane words in chat with "@" symbols, select Options in any games lobby and set the level of the Profanity Filter either to weak (to block common words) or strong (to block even more variations).
- Stop unsolicited invitations. To prevent other players from sending invitations to join your games table, click Options in a games lobby and tick the Decline All Invitations box.
- Report abuse. Please report any offensive content or inappropriate contact with other people on Yahoo! Games.
To increase privacy and reduce interaction with strangers in multi-player games, you can do the following:
- Create a new games table. In a multi-player game, select Create Table in any games lounge. Under Table Type in the left-hand column, select protected or private table. Both types of table require an invitation from you, as the table host, to join and play. Private tables require an invitation for other people even to watch the game being played.
- Boot a player. Remove any player who is behaving inappropriately by clicking Boot and entering the player’s username.
How can I report problems that may happen on Yahoo! Games?
To report abuse, Yahoo! Games has a customer care form that you can access from the Help section. Please complete this form if you are exposed to obscene language, mature content, threats of physical violence, harassment or anything else that violates the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Please provide specific information about the location of the offending content and the identity of the person in question.
Yahoo!’s customer care team receives abuse reports and takes appropriate action, as necessary, which may include deactivating an abuser’s account. Reports that indicate activity involving child pornography or solicitation of a minor are dealt with promptly by Yahoo!’s legal team.
What can I do to use Yahoo! Games in a safer manner?
Yahoo! is committed to providing a safer online experience for everyone. Yahoo! Games provides a number of safety features to limit potential risks. However, protecting young people online is a responsibility shared with parents, teachers and other caregivers.
You should start by learning some basic practices for online safety. These include safeguarding identity online, keeping passwords secret, being cautious about contact with strangers and creating a family pledge for online safety.
If you are a teenager, talk to your parents or caregivers about which games you want to play. If they aren’t comfortable with you interacting with other people through chat or instant messages, look for single-player games.
If you are exposed to obscene language, mature content, threats of physical violence, harassment or anything else that violates the Yahoo! Terms of Service, please report the abuse.